Friday, April 15, 2011

Character and the President

First the definition of character that I am meaning in this blog:
Distinctive qualities: the set of qualities that make somebody or something distinctive, especially somebody's qualities of mind and feeling.
As I live in this nation and watch this latest election, it is becoming apparent that character is lacking.
You may ask why do I think character is important, why should character count? Right now, in this day and age with the people currently in high places, it does not seem to matter at all.
It seems that character is being bred out of the general pubic a little bit at a time. We are a nation that is getting spoiled and use to getting our way in all situations. We blame everything on everyone else. People do not take responsibility for their own actions. Our society is teaching our children to take the easy way out, only do what you have to do to pass or get by. We are teaching our children that character does not matter. If this is true, where is this nation headed? What could the future of this nation hold?
I have heard the argument that there is no connection between a person's personal life and their political potential. I disagree with this completely. In this time in history, we seem to be training more and more delinquents in our society, more and more people living off of the government. We can not allow this. We should be teaching morals and character, since they are two things that go together. A person can not have a strong moral compass without first having a strong, reliable character. Once a person has developed a stable character they also gain stable morals. Two things that can not be separated from one another in my opinion. Two things that is essential in this nation. Two things that are needed in our next President of the United States!
In a President, I feel that character should be everything! When in office the President has a lot of people to help him through, but no matter how many people he has by his side, they can not help him with the qualities of his character that will be called for. His character should have decency, be steadfast and he should be honest. He has to know what his ideas for our nation are, and with an open mind work through obstacles that will doubtlessly arise, but still be strong and courageous enough to stand up and remain firm on his ideas, not to bow down under pressure.
In politicians lately it seems that if Americans like what he says or does, then his character is not an issue. Political correctness and general popularity are replacing a person's character, honor, integrity, and duty. What they say is true for them today might not be true for them tomorrow.
If a candidate had true character, he should not have to stoop to the childish level of viciously attacking the other candidates that are in the same race to the Oval Office. What does that say about someone's character if they have to use such harsh words to tear someone else down? They might not see things the way you see them, nor have the same ideas for the future of the nation but they are still people and they are still citizens of the United States. We should never treat other people like that. If we do not like it when someone does it to us, we should never lower ourselves to that level to do it to someone else.
Character does not mean being the most brilliant political or military mind that is why you have advisors. Character does not mean you have to have a smart edged wit or the best sense of humor that is why you have script writers. Character is a function of the brain and heart.
Character is something that should come naturally and easily. It is not something that you can call upon to work for you when you need it. It is not something you can borrow; character is something a President must bring with them, something they must already possess. Character is the true factor that will guide them through the troubled waters of being President.
A person might have a great plan for the nation but they will not mean a thing if they do not have character. If a person does not possess character, how do you think they will be a great President?
I was told once that "anyone can be brave for five minutes, you do things that you could never see yourself capable of doing". I believe character is a lot like that as well. You can say one thing just to get elected and never truly be capable of doing it. But it takes greater courage and character to say one thing, mean it and then follow up by standing your ground and standing firm for what is right no matter what the opposition might be.

I believe I have great character. I am not saying that I am perfect or flawless, and I know I have made mistakes. I do not deny that, as a matter of fact I am extremely open about my mistakes. I might regret a few things here and there but I do not dwell on the past. I believe that they were lessons I needed, they have made me who I am today.
I always try to do my best. I try to do what is right, even when no one knows or cares. "Character is what a man is in the dark". I believe that everyone is important, every vote is important. I tend to treat everyone that I meet like a true friend and help them out however I can.
Character can not be measured by what a man has in his pocketbook. Character does come with a price. We should not elect a President based on what he spent on his campaign. They spend a lot of money that could be better used to help the homeless or some government programs. 30 Million dollars would greatly improve welfare, medical aid, or even social security. 30 million is what an average candidate spending campaigning for President. 30 Million! We should elect a President based on character and what price he has paid to stand by it.
I may be on this campaign trail with no money and a completely uphill battle but I WILL NOT QUIT! The government needs to change and I believe I can do it! This is America and I believe that dreams can come true here in America. The American dream is to become the best you can be. That you can be anything that you want to be.
I will do my best to leave this country in better shape financially and environmentally for you and your children and their children.

"Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap your character; sow your character, reap your destiny."
- - Unknown - -

No comments:

Post a Comment