Friday, April 15, 2011

Abortion

The issue of abortion is one that has deeply and permanently affected my life, so when someone asks what my stance is on this issue, something within me stirs. I have paused before answering, being torn both on the moral implications and the freedoms our forefathers fought so hard to give us.

I know this issue is important to you as well. Should we overturn Roe vs. Wade, or fight to preserve the decision? I feel that Pro-life steps on a woman's right to make her own choices in the matter, though I also feel that if people are willing to have sex, they should be responsible for every consequence. Pro-choice harms the most innocent of our society, for a child still in the womb is unable to fight for itself, to speak to the mother of the aspirations and improvements to society that he or she would bring through life.

Yet, what kind of life could a child have if forced by law to be raised by those who did not want to or were incapable of raising the child? Then who becomes responsible to foot the bill when the person is unable to support the child financially?

These thoughts and questions go with my thoughts whenever I think ..ion. It is also where I came to a stance that I feel comfortable taking:

We should fight to make abortion not the issue. I feel that education and prevention and adoption should be a priority instead. I know this brings up the issue of parents feeling that if their kids are taught about "safe" sex practices, and the diseases and complications that "unsafe" sex brings, as well as making pregnancy prevention a focus, grants the children an "okay" to go out and experiment.

Let me state that as it is, they are still out there experimenting. It doesn't seem to matter to them whether or not they are getting an "okay" from anyone, and it is costing us many innocent lives.

I suggest that we divert money spent on supporting abortions to education, adoption, and prevention.

No comments:

Post a Comment